Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Authors Corner With R.Weir



Hey Everyone!

This Weeks Authors Corner is with R. Weir who is the Author of the Amazing Jarvis Mann Detective Series!

Before we get started with the Interview I want to give R. Weir a chance to say something first.


"I wanted to thank Andrea for allowing me to speak a little about my books and characters, and posting it on her blog. It’s great when fellow Indie Authors give other Indie Authors a platform to crow about ourselves. I really appreciate her doing this an enjoyed answering the wide range of questions she asked."


Now on to the interview!!!

Always the same first question, which is mostly likely the most important one, Why do you write?


In my teen years I wrote poetry to cope with life, as an outlet. I write now to create new worlds. I’ve always had an active imagination, so it’s good to get those thoughts down on paper or today on bits and bytes.

At What point in your life did you decide to become a writer?

I wrote three novels in the 80’s that I tried to get published, but had no success. I put it aside for many years after getting married and having a child. But in the last few years with self-publishing becoming easier, I took the short story “The Case of the Missing Bubble Gum Card” I’d written many years ago, updated it and published it through KDP. I received good responses from it, with people telling me Jarvis Mann PI would make a good character for a series. So I wrote the next book “Tracking A Shadow” and continued from there with the latest “Twice As Fatal”.

So, do you write full-time or part-time?
Part-time for now. I have a full-time job as a Network and Computer support Manager. But I hope to retire soon, so I can write full-time, but only when it’s financially feasible. Making a living as a full-time writer is my dream job.

What are you currently working on right now?
The fourth book in the Jarvis Mann series “Blood Brothers” is in the hands of my beta readers right now. I’m hoping for it to be out later this year.

Can you tell us bit about it?

Jarvis goes back to his home town of Des Moines Iowa, where he is summoned by his sister-in-law to find out what his brother is up to. Jarvis discovers he is neck deep in trouble, with the FBI, a local mobster and worst of all his wife and daughter. We get glimpses in flashbacks of Jarvis growing up and how he grew into the person he is.

Since this book is part of a series, tell us a little about it?

Jarvis Mann PI is a down on his luck, barely getting by as a detective, who once in a great while gets a juicy case to work on. He is tough, humorous and resourceful. Also he is pretty flawed personally, especially when dealing with the women in his life.

What are your thoughts on writing a book series?
I enjoy it because I can build on the world around Jarvis, slowly and over time, introducing new characters, while bringing others back.

Give us an insight into Jarvis, what does he do that is so special?

He is flawed in many ways, much of his background and youth I will be exploring in the next book “Blood Brothers”. He is tough and fearless, though fearful at the same time, with a bizarre sense of humor when observing all around him. In the worst situations, when facing danger and death, he’ll joke to defuse the fear inside of him.

Do you have a special time to write or how is your day structured?

I write whenever I can find the time. Working full-time and with family obligations sometimes it’s tough to squeeze in, especially in the summer months when we are most active.

Do you write every day, 5 days a week or as and when?

When I get in a groove I can write every day. But life gets in the way to prevent consistency. If I didn’t work full-time I would write most every day.

Do you aim for a set amount of words/pages per day?

Nothing that structured. When I get going I can write several thousand words pretty quickly.

Do you prefer typewriter, computer, dictate or longhand?

All on a computer these days using Word and Scrivener, Long ago when writing poetry it was longhand and I used a typewriter when writing the three novels that were never published.

Where do your ideas come from?

They pop into my head out of the blue, mostly from everyday life experiences.

How do you market your books?

I’ve done eBook promo’s using ENT, BookSends and Kindle Books and Tips. Those three have done the best for me. I also post frequently on FaceBook and occasionally on my blog.

Why did you choose this route?

Mostly because it seems to work well. Marketing is the most difficult aspect of being an Indie Author. If I could find someone to promote for me successfully and not charge a fortune I’d do it in a heartbeat.

Did you do a press release, Goodreads book launch or anything else to promote your work and did it work?

I’ve done author and character interviews, and chapter excerpts on various blogs like this one. I’m exploring Podcast interviews as well. Time is the biggest issue, as all this promo work takes away from writing and family time.

What are your views on social media for marketing?

It works in getting your name out there and recognized, but is time consuming.

Which social network worked best for you?

Facebook is clearly the best.

Any tips on what to do and what not to do?

Do as much as you can, and get others to help you as well to get your name out there. Just don’t let it cut into your writing and family time too much. There is no joy in being successful if you end up doing it alone.
Do you read much and if so who are your favorite authors.

Unfortunately my busy life doesn’t leave much time for reading, but I squeeze in as much as I can. Robert B. Parker, Ian Fleming and Robert Ludlum are three I’ve read over and over again. Chris Orcutt is a modern writer I enjoy, for his Dakota Stevens Mysteries

For your own reading, do you prefer e-books or traditional paper/hard back books?

I enjoy both. Nothing like reading a real book, but when travelling you can take thousands of books on a Kindle and easily access them.

What advice would you give to aspiring writers?

Write as much as you can and the way you want to. Solicit advice but be true to yourself. Because one reader hates the way you write, and publishing companies continually reject your work, doesn’t mean there aren’t hundreds, even thousands of others who will love it.
How can readers discover more about you and you work?

Blog: http://jarvismann.blogspot.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/randy.weir.524
https://www.facebook.com/JarvisMannPI
Twitter: https://twitter.com/RWeir720
Amazon Author Page: http://www.amazon.com/R-Weir/e/B00JH2Y5US
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/8180952.R_Weir


As Always Please show him some love and check out his work, I promise you won’t be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment