Monday, August 3, 2015

A Chat With Gail Matelson!!




Hello everyone and Welcome to my first Interview in the Author Corner! Today I had the pleasure of interviewing Gail Matelson who is the author of ‘Broken Routine’.

I want to thank you Gail for being a part of this, but without further delay on to the interview.



Just to start off with the most basic question, why do you write?


Gail: It started out as a passion 15 years ago… However, now it’s also transcended into a healthy addiction. I’ve been writing a minimum of 25-30 hours every week for six years. It’s so much fun to write… very similar to reading an engaging in a fascinating book.

At what time did you decide to become a writer, and what was that process like?

Gail: Initially I wrote a memoir/travel narrative right after I returned from a year long road trip in which I circled the United States by myself. When I completed the autobiography, I began to write my first novel, “Private World.” The experience of writing a novel transported me. It was freeing because, unlike the autobiography, I didn’t have to confine myself to facts or even realities, limited only by my own imagination. I found that the characters in a novel took on a life of their own and, to this day, they guide the plot and relate their own story. I simply follow. I loved every minute of writing then and still do now.


Over the course of these past 15 years what have you written?

Gail: I have published eleven fiction novels:
Private World, Romance and Murder
The Building: Hidden Deep Within
Last 90 Days, Book 1 of the Archie Trilogy
Advance Notice, Book 2 of the Archie Trilogy
Reactive Heart, Book 3 of the Archie Trilogy
Between the Trees, the Nature of Murder and Mystery
Broken Routine
The Lost Pages, a Lucy Travis Mystery
Ward Pipper’s Sacred Estate
Misunderstood, A Play Script
Sharing a Breath, A Mysterious Short Story

In addition, I published a two non-fiction books. Once I knew how to self-publish I indulged my whim by publishing my poetry, “Poetry with a Spiritual Twist,” and a short outline of my successful foray into lowering my cholesterol. “How I Lost 30 Pounds and Lowered My Cholesterol 81 Points in 4 Months.”



Where can we find your books for ourselves?

Gail: Currently they are all available for .99 on Amazon as well as Nook, iBooks and Kobo. I also have a Goodreads page where one can find several additional reviews for the novels.

What genre do you find yourself writing most about?

Gail: My novels are all unique mysteries covering a wide spectrum from dark to inspiring. I like to mix an endearing story with a good murder mystery! Some of the mysteries have a metaphysical, romantic and/or humorous thread woven into the plot. Many have fantasy themes right alongside realistic character profiles. Most of the novels have twists and surprise endings. I always include a Yorkshire Terrier dog in my novels in honor of my son’s dog Tate.

Do you do any research for you books?
Gail: I frequently call on my own experiences for authenticity. My recent release “Ward Pipper’s Sacred Estate” is a murder mystery which takes place at a spiritual retreat. In my own personal history, I have lived at a yoga ashram for a total of four years. While the two places are extremely different and have little in common, I was able to draw on my own spiritual experience and knowledge to make the book authentic.
Are you working on at the minute and do you mind telling us about it?

Gail: I am currently writing the sequel to “Between the Trees.” The working title is: “Between Bailey and the Sixth Tree.” This is another fantasy/murder mystery. The storyline is so creative and fun, I am considering using the sequel’s storyline for a children’s book as well… but will take out the murder portion of the story.
For a harder question, what is your favorite book that you have written so far and why?
Gail: That is a hard question. I usually favor the book I have just written. I would say “Between the Trees” and “Last 90 Days/ the Archie Trilogy” have made a great impact on my life. I created such credible, lovable, fantasy characters that I believe they are real in some way.
How often do you write a week and do you aim for a set amount of words/pages per day?

Gail: Mostly I write for a minimum of 25-30 hours a week. I actually try to take several days off in a week just to make sure I am fresh when I write. No, I don’t have a set amount of words; it’s a completely creative process. I have noticed that I can now easily write 2,000 words in a day compared to fewer than 1,000 when I first started.

What do you find is the easiest thing about writing?

Gail: It’s always a flow and never a struggle. I don’t anticipate the story. It comes to fruition as I type. I also love editing a completed draft. I think editing is where the book takes shape.

On average how long does it take you to write a book?

Gail: I’ve spent several years writing many of my books. They sit and then I pick them up several times with a fresh take. However, I notice that most of the time I spend five to nine months on a book. The more I write, the speedier the process.
Do you ever get writer’s block and if so do you have any tips on how to get through it?

Gail: Fortunately, I’ve never had writers block. Maybe it’s because I don’t generally outline a story. My stories either flow or they don’t. I never force writing. The stories flow and honestly, I don’t know what I’ll be writing prior to the experience. I may have a title, a first line and an idea of one character’s potential transformation, but then off it goes. Too fun!
What is your editing process like?

Gail: I edit over and over and over. Each book is unique. On “Ward Pipper’s Sacred Estate” I edited the first chapter over and over before I continued with the rest of the story. That was a unique process. Usually I write the first draft, and then I start at the beginning with full edits. The most difficult book to edit was “The Building, Hidden Deep Within.” When a book includes alternating time periods, it is a real challenge because of continuity. Jumping ahead in time and then coming into the present requires a lot of organization. After I do all I can (hundreds of edits), then I give it to my friend who edits line by line, and developmentally.

Why did you decide on self-publishing?

Gail: On several of my books, I spent many hours writing proposals and soliciting agents, who in turn will solicit a publisher. The process was arduous and unsatisfying for me. I realize that a publishing house can be a great benefit, but I have also heard that they can hold your book for several years prior to publishing. In addition, I love to have control over my own product. I am able to edit the book content whenever I like. And I am able to gift my book to readers when I chose to do so.
What advice would you give to aspiring writers?

Gail: Allow the process to flow. Each writer has a different technique. Many prefer to work off an outline; others love to research their topic. I would suggest that you find a process that you enjoy and then stick with it. Make it fun and exciting for yourself and your readers.
Where do you see publishing going in the future?
Gail: I am hoping the public will find that Indie writers and self-published authors are credible. A great story is what we are all seeking. I hope that will always be the priority. I also price all my e-books at .99. I wish more authors and publishers would do the same. Reading eBooks’ shouldn’t only be for the wealthy.

Is there anything else you would like to say about your writing?
Gail: I write primarily mystery novels because a mystery never limits the storytelling experience. I am able to mix multiple genres within the framework of a suspenseful murder mystery by expanding and detailing a character’s personality and life. Humor, metaphysical undertones, self-doubt, sadness, romance and transformation are all part of a good story which will engage the reader.

Last question, how can my readers discover more about you and you work?

Gail: They can find more about my work at:

Amazon Author Page:http://www.amazon.com/GAIL-MATELSON/e/B00MFAEF4K/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1438187970&sr=1-2-ent
As well as on Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/dashboard



Thank You Gail for taking the time out of your schedule for this little Interview. Make sure you check out one of her multiple books on Amazon and Goodreads.

Until Next Time!

-Andrea 

No comments:

Post a Comment