Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Author's Corner With LJ Higgins

Welcome Back to Authors Corner! 

FAVOURITE

Today I have the pleasure of speaking to LJ Higgins. She is the Author of Dawn of the Dreamer and In Their Shoes.    

Now On to the Interview! 

Why do you write L.J.? 
I just love it. I’ve always had a crazy imagination and I like to be able to put it to good use. Writing just makes me happy.

What made you decide to sit down and actually start something? I had created a blog to start writing again, and a friend noticed how much I enjoyed it and gave me a notebook as a gift. Inside she left me a note urging me to continue writing, and that she couldn’t wait to read my future novel. That night I had a dream that inspired my first novel, Dawn of the Dreamer.

What have you written?
I have published the first book of the Dreamer Trilogy, Dawn of the Dreamer. I am currently working on 
Fall of the Dreamer (Dreamer Trilogy, Book Two) and it is due for release in early 2016, I have recently turned my blog series, In Their Shoes, into its own book on Amazon. 

Where can we buy or see them?
You can find Dawn of the Dreamer through my website (www.ljhiggins.com), on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Bookworld and other online bookstores. You can find In Their Shoes, on Amazon as well.

Give us an insight into your main character. What does she do that is so special?
Amelia is a twenty three year old who has spent her life taking the backseat. Being a Dreamer has meant she has had to keep parts of herself a secret so as not to be ridiculed, that is until she meets someone who tells her the truth about what it really means to be a Dreamer. She then needs to decide if she will take the easy option, as she always has, and stay in her sheltered life, being told there is something wrong with her. Or take the difficult route and stand up and fight for her right to Dream.

What are you working on at the minute?
At the moment I am going through my first edit of Book Two of the Dreamer Trilogy. And I am also posting my blog series, In Their Shoes, once a fortnight.

What’s it about? 
Book Two, is set in the year after the events of Dawn of the Dreamer, and Amelia and her friends have started settling into their new lives. That is until a new threat surfaces along with new questions about what Dreamers are really capable of.
In Their Shoes is a series of short stories giving you the chance to walk in other peoples shoes, and realize that not everyone are as they appear.

What genre are your books?
Young Adult with a touch of Science Fiction.

What draws you to this genre?
It covers the stage in your life where you decide who you want to be, and what you want to do with your life. I think no matter what the plot is, I can generally relate to what the character is going through emotionally.

How do you think you’ve evolved creatively?
Dawn of the Dreamer has taught me so much about my writing style, and how to weave a story. For Book Two I am a lot more structured in my work, and have done much more planning. I know that I will continue to evolve with each story I write.

What was the hardest thing about writing your latest book?
The writing was the easy part. I found it easy to sit down and get it all on the page. The editing and publishing was the biggest learning curve for me, but even though I felt like pulling my hair out at times, I enjoyed it too.

What are your thoughts on writing a book series?
If you have a story that’s too big to tell in one book, or that can hold the reader’s attention over a number of books, why not write a series? Your writing will only get better as you grow to know and understand your characters.

Do you proofread/edit all your own books or do you get someone to do that for you?
I do both. Editing my own work taught me so much about my own writing. But a professional taught me more about the technical side of writing. A professional ensures your book is polished and ready to be published.

What would you say are the main advantages and disadvantages of self-publishing against being published or the other way around?
Having only self-published I can’t say much about traditional publishing. I will say that I didn’t decide to self-publish lightly, but felt it suited what I wanted to get out of publishing better. And also suited my lifestyle as a stay at home mum and wife. If I were to be approached by a traditional publisher that doesn’t mean I would say no, but it would have to be the right contract for me and my family.

What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
Write! So many people want to write a book, but don’t actually start writing. So my advice would be to write, let others read it to give you honest feedback, take what they say as constructive criticism, and write again.


How can readers discover more about you and you work?
Website: www.ljhiggins.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/ljhigginsbooks
Twitter: @lj_higgins
Instagram: @lj_higgins
Amazon Author Page: http://www.amazon.com/L.-J.-Higgins/e/B0120ARKFA
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/13804669.L_J_Higgins



Thank you LJ for stopping by! Make sure you check out her work!

No comments:

Post a Comment